Canadian Cruiser Customizing: A guide to using signal lights
One of the main components of safe driving is letting other drivers know what you’re about to do. Following this etiquette is required by the law in order to avoid any accidents from happening.
Giving appropriate signals at the correct time and place ensures the safety of you and other drivers. To help you stay safe and protected on the road, we’re going to take an in-depth look at the importance of using turn signals as well as some of the guidelines you must follow.
Using the turn signals
Cars are usually equipped with a turn signal ‘switch’ located on a short lever and attached to the side of the steering wheel column. Here are some of the ways to activate these signals.
- Once you pull the lever down, you may be able to activate the signals on the right side of the car to symbolise a right-hand turn.
- Once you push the lever up, you can indicate the signals on the left side of the vehicle for a left-hand turn.
- Compared to the ones listed above, brake lights come on automatically when you step on the brakes.
Right times to use a turn signal
- One of the first things you need to know is the distance you need to have when making a left or right turn onto a new lane. Make sure to be at least 30 yards (or 100 feet) away from the corner to give space for other drivers to adjust.
- While the 30 yards (or 100 feet) rule is a great way to avoid accidents, it also depends on the vehicle behind you. If you notice that a truck or bus is getting near you, turn on your signal light immediately for them to notice you.
- If you are about to change lanes or enter a new road (especially on highways), you should signal as early as you can. Keep in mind that impulsively turning on your signal without considering the other drivers can cause accidents.
- Whether you or another driver are indicating a signal light, it is important to be patient and not try to overtake them. Keep in mind that it may lead to accidents, so safety is a must.
Although there are many things that you need to consider while driving, getting familiar with turning signals is important if you want to keep yourself and others safe.
If you wish to learn more about car lights, you’ve come to the right place! Feel free to read through our blogs and explore the different products we offer here ar Canadian Cruiser Customizing. For concerns and inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 1-800-341-2622.